Thursday, January 9, 2014

Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?

We have spent a mere 9 days in 2014 and already the winds of change are blowing.  It's amazing to me how much people take for granted and are willing to sever ties to be "right."

I used to be a huge fan of Dr. Phil (about 10 years ago) and I will always remember him saying "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"

Life is short.  I want to be happy.  It is that simple.

It's been a not so pleasant week, so last night at around 10pm when a friend posted about going to Portland to get doughnuts it seemed like just the kind of adventure I needed.

At 11:30pm we left Kitsap on our way to Portland's famous Voodoo Doughnuts.  It's a mere 3 hours and some change away.  And yes all we did was drive there, eat some delicious doughnuts (as well as brought a box- or 4 home with us) and drive back.   We got home a little before 7am.  Although today proved to me that a) I can no longer stay up all night without feeling hungover the entire next day - even after a 4 hour "nap" and b) I will always appreciate an adventure.

As a wife and a mother I don't get to do too many spontaneous things.  My  life is structured and planned, so it was a nice reminder of the girl I used to be.  Life is in these small moments of gratitude: in not just finding a friend who is willing to drive 350 miles with you for some doughnuts, but finding someone who is willing to share their time (and love for food) to make silly memories and in the reality that at the end of the day I am blessed with warmth to come home to.


Life as I know it is changing around me, I can resist it or I can embrace it.  I can be right or I can be happy.  I choose happiness.  (and doughnuts... lots and lots of doughnuts)

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh Donuts! What a fun adventure that was. Thank you for going with me. True friends drive 3+ hours for a midnight snack. Literally. haha. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should stick to the plan for splitting the donuts in 4s next time. They were all too crazy for my family and even too sweet for me. Can't wait for our next adventure!

    ReplyDelete